Monday, January 20, 2014

Grateful

Hello friends and family!



This week was zone training meeting. Sora Bird and I were asked to lead an activity where we broke everyone up into groups, assigned them scriptures, and then have them tell us what they learned from those stories about faith. As I was listening to their responses, a single phrase popped into my head:
                
                          You were born with all that the great have had.

I couldn't remember where I had even heard that phrase, but as the final group was finishing up their comments, I felt that I should express some of my thoughts. We were talking about people like Nephi and Jacob from the Book of Mormon and then Joseph Smith. I told them that we can have the same qualities that these great men had. We can develop that same faith. We may not see those attributes in ourselves, but we do have great qualities, and Heavenly Father will help us to develop those qualities.
The other day, I was randomly flipping through my study journal and saw that phrase, “You were born with all that the great have had.” It turns out I heard it in a zone training meeting back in my third transfer. It's from a poem titled “Equipment,” and I would highly recommend it. It was amazing to me to once again see how the spirit will bring things to our remembrance.


We were able to meet with a less active that we've never met with before. She was recommended to us by another member, so we got a hold of her. She's an older woman who is amazing. She's sweet, funny, and very intelligent. She has great faith, but she's unable to leave her home because of health problems. You wouldn't guess that she had health issues. She looks great! But the truth is, she can't leave her home without becoming very sick and disoriented. Even with that trial, she was a very happy woman. She had a candle burning in the room and at one point she directed my attention to it. It was in memory of her husband who died some years ago. His birthday is this month. She told us that since his death people have asked her why she doesn't try and find someone and get remarried. Many people reminded her of the line “til death do us part.” She said she would never consider remarrying. She said that she made the commitment to be her husband's wife. She knows that this life is not the end, so she will forever remain his wife. It was the sweetest thing. I can't even adequately describe it to you. It's very clear that this woman loves her husband and has strength from her faith that she will see him again.

We had a fireside on Sunday that the elders put together. It ended up being really nice. A handful of members were able to come, and it was great to see how much they appreciated it. They talked on trials and how they really are a blessing and how we will always receive help through our trials, but we need to remember to turn to Heavenly Father in prayer and ask for his help.

I was reminded this week of how a positive attitude is a choice. I would also venture to say that it is a habit to be cultivated. It is definitely easier said then done sometimes, but I am ever the firm believer that there is something to be grateful for in every single day. When your mind starts to wander to the negative, force it to dwell in the positive. Take a moment and write down some things you are thankful for, or say a prayer to our Heavenly Father and start to tell Him all the things you're thankful for, even the smallest of things. In those moments when you are having a harder time, ask Him to help you to see the blessings in your life.

 I'm so grateful for little tender mercies in my life. They really are many times the simplest of things. A gentle answering to prayers of the heart that sometimes I haven't even remembered were spoken in my mind until I received a response. Sharing a hilarious moment with a friend (a moment that's probably only funny because you are being ridiculous in a good sort of way). Making delicious American treats received in packages and sharing them with your companion and district. Today's tender mercy was sunshine, fresh air, time to clean, and general conference playing in the background. I was filled with peace and a feeling of home. It was the perfect way to start out the day. I hope you will all take time to see the tender mercies in your lives and record them! I am a believer in journal keeping. If nothing else, strive to write one way you have been blessed that day. I promise you that it will brighten your life and help you realize just how much of a hand Heavenly Father has in your life.



Thank you for all of your support. I'm excited to start English classes back up this week. We've had lessons fall through this week, but we're going to keep trying and making all those connections! I know this is the Lord's work, and I'm grateful to be a part of it.
Cu mare drag,
Sora Adams





                                       EQUIPMENT

Figure it out for yourself, my lad,
You've all that the greatest of men have had,
Two arms, two hands, two legs, two eyes
And a brain to use if you would be wise.
With this equipment they all began,
So start for the top and say, "I can."

Look them over, the wise and great
They take their food from a common plate,
And similar knives and forks they use,
With similar laces they tie their shoes.
The world considers them brave and smart,
But you've all they had when they made their start.

You can triumph and come to skill,
You can be great if you only will.
You're well equipped for what fight you choose,
You have legs and arms and a brain to use,
And the man who has risen great deeds to do
Began his life with no more than you.

You are the handicap you must face,
You are the one who must choose your place,
You must say where you want to go,
How much you will study the truth to know.
God has equipped you for life, but He
Lets you decide what you want to be.

Courage must come from the soul within,
The man must furnish the will to win.
So figure it out for yourself, my lad.
You were born with all that the great have had,
With your equipment they all began,
Get hold of yourself and say: "I can."

--Edgar A. Guest






No comments:

Post a Comment