Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year and Transfers

It's that time again: TRANSFERS!


That doesn't mean too much for me. Sora Bird and I will be staying here in Arad for another transfer. I'm really looking forward to this transfer. Our district is pretty much the same too with the exception of one elder who is being switched out. It should be fun, and we have some good things planned for this transfer. Sora Bird and I want to continue to strengthen relationships with branch members and to reach out to less actives. I'm also really looking forward to starting English classes back up again.
Our phone is still having issues, but our elders will be picking up a new one for us at transfers. Hopefully that one will work better. Keep your fingers crossed!

We've had a fun week. Once again, I must say happy new year! I hope that 2014 has started off well for all of you. On New Year's Eve we were able to spend some time with the elders. Our mission president gave us permission to watch another movie. Someone also made sarmale for us. I can't remember if I've talked about Gabi, but he's the one who made food for us. Gabi is awesome by the way. He's not a member but he still takes an active part with the church and with the missionaries. He's been a big help on numerous occasions. As for sarmale, it's like pickled cabbage filled with a rice and meat mixture (sometimes other things will be added). It has to boil forever. You usually top it with sour cream, and it's pretty darn good. We were also able to go see an awesome firework display in the middle of town. It was a really good way to welcome in the new year.

We actually had a lot of sarmale this week come to think of it. A member invited our entire district over for lunch, and that's what he fed us. Then Sora Bird and I visited with a less active member who fed us sarmale as well. I'm really glad we had that visit. The last time we visited this member in particular she was in very low spirits. I wasn't sure what to say to her, but I did my best to follow the promptings of the spirit. She was so much better this time. She seemed back to her normal self and full of life. I'm glad we were able to visit with her. She's only less active because of health and work reasons, but she has a really strong testimony and loves when we can visit her. We then had leftover sarmale a couple of days later. Basically it as just the week of sarmale.

We were also able to visit the less active family I mentioned before, the one we took Christmas bags too so the kids could have some Christmas treats. We took one set of elders with us and we talked about the story of Nephi and the brass plates. The elders made little props and everything. It was great. We then sang “Nephi's Courage” altogether. Those kids really are so great! They're really friendly and seem to enjoy our visits. I hope we'll continue to work with them.

I had a cool experience yesterday. Since we have been having troubles with the phone and we have a new number, no one knows how to contact us now. There was one member in particular who I knew should have our number. I approached her after Relief Society on Sunday and explained that we had a new number. Rather than having her write it down, I just handed her a random pass along card that I had in my coat pocket that had our number on it. She thanked me and left. A little while later we received a phone call from this woman. She thanked me again for giving her our number and then went on to thank me for giving her the card. On the back with our number was a quote from President Uchtdorf. The quote is from his talk “You Matter to Him.” (http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/you-matter-to-him?lang=eng) If I remember correctly, this is the quote.
No matter where you live, no matter how humble your circumstances, how meager your employment, how limited your abilities, how ordinary your appearance, or how little your calling in the Church may appear to you, you are not invisible to your Heavenly Father. He loves you. He knows your humble heart and your acts of love and kindness. Together, they form a lasting testimony of your fidelity and faith.

I just love this talk and you should definitely take some time to read it when you can. Anyway, this sweet member told me that it was exactly what she needed. She said that she felt that it was specifically written for her. I was touched by this experience. I had thought nothing of it except to give her our phone number. I had no idea that that is what she needed in that moment. How blessed and happy I felt realizing that the Lord can use me in such a simple way to bless the lives of His children. Even though I wasn't aware of this sister's needs in that moment, Heavenly Father did. So I guess the thought I want to leave you for this week is this:one way that the Lord answers prayers is through other people. We can become personal ministering/comforting angels. As we strive to live the gospel and act in accordance with God's will, we will be guided and directed and sometime we won't even realize in the moment that we've been prompted. It may seem so simple that we don't even realize the great importance it may have to someone. The Lord will use you to help His work to progress, and what is His work? To bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. To bring us back home to His presence where we can enjoy never ending happiness.

I'm so grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows and understands my needs and for a Savior that gives me the light of hope even when life seems dark.
I hope you all of a great week!

Cu mare drag,
Sora Adams

One of my favorite gifts was an "album" my mom put together with my sister in laws graphic art and some photos of my niece.  I loved the encouraging quotes and the family photos.  It really made my day.  Mom also sent dehydrated maple syrup.  Syrup is hard to get here and you don't realize how much you miss it until you don't have it.  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment