Sunday, October 27, 2013

You Can Be A Missionary Too!!



Have I mentioned how there's some really awesome people here in Romania? I love the sweet people I've been able to meet and work with. Last Sunday, one of the members of our branch came up to me, put her hand on my arm, and asked, "So when are you going to come visit me?" She was so cute! So of course we visited her this week. We weren't sure what message we should share with her though. We were sitting at our desks thinking and thinking and nothing seemed to work. Sora Deruvo looked at the wall where she has Helaman 3:35 posted. "Why don't we share this and talk about prayer?" We agreed and talked about a few thoughts we had on prayer. When we went to visit this member, we got to know her a little first as we haven't visited her before, and then we shared this scripture with her. After we had her read it, she paused for a moment, and then she began to tell her how interesting it was that we shared this scripture with her as it went right along with something she's been reading lately. We were than able to have a cool little discussion. It was a simple thing, but I'm continually learning how the simple things are some of the greatest things in reality. Another thing I'm finding is that we are so often guided by the spirit without even realizing it, even with little spiritual thoughts. Heavenly Father truly knows all of His children individually and what they need at any given moment.


We were able to visit another member as well who fed us so much food! She's so fun. She told us about how she was able to go to the temple dedication in Ukraine and hug the prophet. She has this really funny giggle when she talks about it. She's so cute! She also told me that I speak Romanian well and because of that, I should have more courage when I speak. She gets bonus points for telling me I speak well :)



We were able to have another lesson with D this week. The Boyds came with us, for which I'm so grateful. They shared wonderful testimonies and there's just a great spirit about them. Plus they connect with Delia really well. Again, Delia always seems to show an understanding for the things we teach her. She was also able to come to a session of conference. She had to leave before we had a chance to talk to her about it, but I hope she enjoyed it.



Recently the thought crossed my mind of how I can be a missionary when I'm back home and I don't have a badge. It was just one of those random thoughts, and it was accompanied with some of the things I've tried to do to reach out to people. Then it occurred to me that we do misisonary work be reaching out to people. We sit by the person who's sitting by themselves. We ask how someone is doing. We attempt to do small acts of kindness. I was telling Sora Deruvo that I should get into food bribery again (this was my term for writing nice notes, combining them with baked goods, and going to peoples homes to deliver them and as a way of saying "we haven't forgotten you.") I believe that simple things like that can be missionary work. Also, doing your home and visiting teaching. I've felt recently that there is a great importance in both of these callings. I don't think we always realize what a big difference it can make. I can tell you from personal experience that you will be blessed as you strive to do your visiting/home teaching. I guess all these thoughts came from a little bit of fear that I'll lose all my missionary skills when I return home (but remember what we learned about fear? It's an opportunity!). Basically, what it comes down to is missionary work has been a big topic lately. Sometimes I think that we don't feel like we're capable of missionary work, but I promise that you are. Keep being the good people that you are. Bring people to the gospel by your love and example. 



In General Conference, one of the speakers (possibly Sister Oscarson) talked about how if we don't have a testimony an a certain principle that we can gain a testimony of it by living it. As I was getting ready for bed last night, the thought occurred to me that that can apply to missionary work to. If you don't have a testimony of missionary work, or you don't think you can do it, try it. Turn to Heavenly Father. He will help you. I can promise you that you will see blessings. This is the Lord's work. Didn't He say that His work and His glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man? Missionary work is one way He does that, by bringing people to the knowledge of their Redeemer, and it is only through Christ that we can receive those blessings.


Next week is transfers! It always seems to come so fast. We find out all the details on Friday at the transfer dinner the Boyds like to put together for us. Have I mentioned that the Boyds are wonderful? Senior couples really are the best. Stayed tuned!
And if you didn't get a chance to view conference, you should. The talks are already available at lds.org :)
Cu mare drag,
Sora Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment