Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Life is a Zoo! =)

How to describe this week? Awesome? Yeah. We'll go with that. Here's what happened:

On Monday, we went to the zoo. I was very pleased to see tigers. I think they are one of the most beautiful creatures. Sora Lund touched a camel, which probably isn't allowed. Instead of saying it was probably not allowed, I may have said, "Do it!" while whipping out my camera to take a picture. 




This week was American week at a store called Lidel. We were so excited to go home with arms full of ranch, cheesecake mix, peanut butter, rice krispies, marshmallows, and a few other things. It seemed so fitting as we were totally in "We love America" mode all week. We may have listened to devotionals about America and a bunch of patriotic music (thank you Sora Lund's family). We also may have convinced our branch president to let us have a branch activity on the 4th. Yep. That really happened.

The day started like any other accept for the first thing I heard when I woke up was "Happy 4th of July!" I'm pretty sure we then were like "Oh my gosh. America is so great!" Our first method of celebration was eating cold pizza for breakfast. In the evening, we went to the church and made pancakes for the branch. We made syrup as well. Other foods we or the elders brought: rice krispy treats, apple pie, cheese cake, peach cobbler, I think that's it. Our branch president brought some sarmale and salami de biscuits. It was very delicious, and very fattening. This reminds me, we were also told recently that pancakes aren't food. They're dessert.  We said that they were in fact a breakfast food. I'm not sure if they believed us... They were also talking to a person who's eaten pie for breakfast, so maybe I'm not the best judge. I think it was good for the branch to celebrate with us. Our branch president mentioned how the missionaries usually did their own thing on the 4th and didn't usually invite the branch to do something. He seemed very excited to celebrate with us. Our opening hymn was "The Star Spangled Banner," and we were thinking of just singing the first verse, but he insisted we sing all three. So we did. 

We visited a less active member this week. She and her family are actually on their way back into activity. Since I've been in the area, they've been at church every Sunday and come to a couple of branch activities. While we were visiting with her, she told me that I need to talk more because that's the only way I'll progress, and I need to progress because for all I know Sora Lund will be gone next transfer and I'll have to train someone. So she pretty much told Sora Lund to talk less and me to talk more. She had a good point, so we took that into consideration when we taught this week. 

We had a couple of lessons with her. The first time was not planned. The second time, we planned it out so I would be teaching more of the lesson. The lesson went well, and I'm just so thankful for everyone's patience! I still have a long way to go as far as language is concerned, but even if all I can do is say simple phrases, that's okay. For one thing, I have a capable companion who can fill in holes. Also, the language of the spirit is much more important. Also, they all seem to understand what I'm trying to say, so I'm probably at least a little bit better than I think I am. I hope so. Anyway, we taught her about the Plan of Salvation, and I felt the spirit in our lesson. That's what I try to look for. I figure that's a good sign of a successful lesson.

A few other thoughts before I close:
-Goals are great things that help us move towards not only things we want to do but people we want to become. We should take our goals to Heavenly Father and allow Him to help us achieve them even if they aren't something we might think as spiritual. If it's important to you, it's important to Him.
-I thought I had another thought, but I'm not sure what that was ha ha
-Here's a thought taken from a movie that has been encouraging me to be a little braver...as in actually talking to people or sharing my testimony at church yesterday. "You know, sometimes all you need is twenty seconds of insane courage. Just literally twenty seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it." For any of you who don't know, that's from the movie "We Bought a Zoo."

Keep the faith! You are all amazing!

Cu drag!
Sora Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment