Monday, May 20, 2013

Isus a inviat!!

Yesterday was Orthodox Easter, which is a bigger deal here than the Catholic one. It's been fun celebrating with people the last few days. I think everyday since Friday we've participated in egg tapping (I'm not sure how to spell what they call it, but that's a good explanation). In this tradition, each person takes an egg, one says "Isus a inviat," the other replies "Adavarat a inviat," and then they knock their eggs together. Whoever has the cracked egg loses. Traditionally, and most of the ones I've seen, the eggs are colored red as a symbol of the blood of Christ. We were talking to a girl from our English class and her mother about some traditions the other day. According to tradition, you knock eggs after midnight, so when it's officially Sunday, and then you eat a meal of lamb and such. Saturday night we were able to attend a midnight mass and take part in a candle lighting ceremony. We attended the ceremony with the Blaj family (Rebeca and her mother and sister, Nicoleta and Tabita).


We were able to have some good lessons this week. After lessons, one of the first things I do to evaluate how it went is to ask myself if I felt the spirit. Even though I can still only do things very simply where language is concerned, I try to follow that spirit. Even if I only get a couple sentences out in broken Romanian, if the spirit is there, the message will get through. On Saturday, we had a lesson with Iulia and her mother, Daniela. Those are the two I mentioned above. We had the Hunt's with us (the branch president and his wife who are also missionaries). It was cool to see how the spirit was working with us. The most evident thing was that we could all understand each other. Also I think when it comes to teaching, especially when you are teaching with someone else, that the spirit can prompt you when to speak and when to stay silent and let your companion speak. I've been wanting to talk more, so as we were having this lesson I kept thinking, "Sora Heim is doing all the talking. You should say something." But no words came. I didn't feel prompted to talk. But then, suddenly, the prompting came. It was just like, "Okay. Talk now." It was simple. It was short, but I said what I could and it all worked out. I'm grateful for the spirit. The Lord is definitely a part of this work.

There never seems to be enough time to say all that could be said, but I hope you are all doing well. Remember to turn to the Lord in all things and He will be your strength.

Until next week!
Sora Adams




No comments:

Post a Comment