Saturday, May 10, 2014

Testimony- April 28, 2014



                                               Hello world! I hope all is well with you.


Yesterday I gave my first talk in the Chisinau branch about a topic I love: family history. The branch president asked me to keep it to seven minutes. I never thought I would ever want more time to speak over the pulpit ever. I could go on for a long time about family history (partly because I would start telling you more than you ever wanted to know about my family most likely). Anyway, apparently I did well with those few minutes because one investigator liked it so much that he gave me a piece of chocolate for "such a beautiful talk." Basically I would encourage all of you to take part in family history. The blessings are numerous! Start with some of your own history. Keep a journal. It will be a blessing to you.


Unfortunately we didn't have any lessons this week. All the ones we had fell through. There was also no one at our English class (just mine and Sora Sayre's) on Saturday, but holidays are to blame for that. The week after Easter is Parent's Day apparently. They all go to the cemeteries to celebrate their ancestors. They have some little traditions that go along with that like sharing some drinks and then having candies and biscuits for kids and things. Anyway, despite our lack of lessons, we still had some good things happen this week.




On Thursday we had a special session of institute. All the missionaries in Moldova came with the investigators here to Chisinau. Our speakers were the branch president from Panduri (where I served last transfer) and another guy who served his mission in Russia. It was so great to see our little chapel filled up. There was a strength of spirit just seeing everyone there. The speakers were amazing. They talked about the Book of Mormon and coming to know truth for ourselves. One of the things I really liked that they said is how we often associate knowledge with the mind but it actually comes a lot from the heart. The spirit testifies to our heart about the truthfulness of all things. "Search your feelings." Sorry, had to throw in a Star Wars reference. In all seriousness though, the Lord Himself said that He will speak to our minds AND our hearts. Pay attention to your feelings because that is a major way that the spirit communicates with us. A student from one of the English classes came and spoke to us a little afterwards. She then came to our sports night the next day. We're hoping we'll be able to start meeting with her. She's awesome and had a lot of fun with us.


Something I'm grateful for this week is the chance to share my testimony. There were two times in particular this week where I had that chance. Once was at FHE. Sora Sayre and I were in charge of it last week. We showed one of the bible videos the church has put together and that some elders have put Romania subtitles to. Afterwards I was able to bear my testimony about Christ. On other day, I was finishing up writing my talk while the Schwarz's (senior couple) were having a mission prep lesson with a young man who's preparing to go. I came in right at the end and Sister Schwarz suggested that we have a mini testimony meeting. Each one of us there took turns sharing our testimonies. It's amazing to me to feel the difference when the spirit fills a room with a sense of reverance and testifies of the truthfulness of our words. This week without even thinking about it, I've also been bearing testimony a lot in my journal writing. As I've done that, I've noticed a difference. I feel like my testimony has been increasing in strength and I feel more of Heavenly Father's love and just closer to Him. I've also been gaining a greater appreciation for all three parts of the godhead. I'm so amazed by Heavenly Father, our Savior, and the holy ghost and how they all work together for our good. They are so amazing. My love for them truly is growing and I'm so grateful to them. I guess my suggestion to all of you is to bear testimony more. Remember that a testimony doesn't have to be a grand thing. In fact, I can guarentee that you bear testimony more than you realize, if not through words than definitely through deeds.



One final thought before I let you all go. Sora Sayre and I were talking about confidence yesterday and how we both kind of feel like we could work on that a little. I realized as we were talking that one thing that has been taking a little bit of a toll on my confidence are my own thoughts. I've always been a believer in the power of positive thinking and living a life full of gratitude. As far as the thinking goes, perhaps I've started to slack a little bit. The good thing is that now that I'm aware of it I can fix it. When I was doing an exchange with Sora Kelly one of the things we talked about was charity and how it is so important to have charity for ourselves as well. If you beat yourself up, telling yourself that you'll never measure up or that you can't do something then you are right. The more you tell yourself something the more you begin to believe it. Don't be too hard on yourself. Tell yourself good things. I love what Sora Sayre said to me yesterday. "Remember, you're a daughter of God, and He loves you." It such a simple thing that we hear often, but how often do we actually shrug off that fact. We really are children of our Heavenly Father, and He loves us no matter what. We are amazing with glorious potential! In Preach my Gospel it talks about finding confidence through Christ and trust that the spirit will guide us. Christ truly is with us every step of the way. He will strengthen us and give us power to overcome our weaknesses. The power of the atonement is real. So think happy thoughts. Know that you are loved and never alone. Turn to our Father in Heaven often and He will answer your prayers.




I'm so grateful for my mission, for all the great things I've been a part of here. I'm grateful for all of you and for your support. You are a great strength to me. Have a great week! We have a baptism scheduled for Saturday and we are all super excited! I'll tell you all about it next week! Sora Sayre, Elder Temus, Elder Danielson, and I are preparing a musical number. I'm just happy that I can be a part of it. How blessed I feel to be a witness to that great event.

Until next week,

Sora Adams





No comments:

Post a Comment