Friday, February 21, 2014

Heading Out!





First thing's first. I'm heading to Bucharest for transfers, and I'm staying there. I'm going to be a Sister Training Leader (meaning I go on exchanges with sisters and help them with goals and such. A Zone Leader for the sisters), and I'm going to be serving with Sora Deruvo again! I'm really excited! I'm going to miss being with Sora Bird, but it'll be good.


We had some good things happen this week. We met with a former investigator who we've met with only once before. She's super sweet and remembers the sisters who taught her before with fondness. She was being so cute. She was telling me how I was doing a great work and that I would blessed for my service. She then told me that I'm a princess and the God is preparing a prince for me and she would pray for me that I would get him. She then asked Sora Bird how old she is and told her that she still has some time to mature. I guess time is running shorter for me ha ha. This woman has great faith. 



We met with a less active, Ana. She's only less active because of health restrictions. She's really funny. She encouraged Sora Bird to speak more so that she can learn the language. "The only way to learn is to be corrected and how can you be corrected if you don't speak?" She then told me not to translate and to have Sora Bird speak on her own. So she gave our thought, and she was awesome! 


I mentioned another less active last week who we have a hard time getting in contact with. Her name is Cristina. We were able to meet with her again this week. She really is great. She's a little more introverted at times, but she's very loving I feel. Again as we were visiting with her I could feel the spirit. Since we've met with here these past couple of times, she's been making more contact with us. I see this as a positive sign, and I feel that our visits really are making a difference for her. I'm glad we were able to get to meet with her so Sora Bird can easily continue to visit with her when I'm gone.

We met with a member this week as well, Sora Krista. She shared her conversion story with us, which I really enjoyed. She started looking for religion when a doctor made a mistake and told her that she had cancer. For months she lived with that emotional weight, but as she was going to go in and start treatments, the new doctor she was going to rechecked everything and discovered the mistake. She didn't have cancer after all. She was investigating some religions at this point. One day she was watching TV and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir was doing a European Tour. They were showing some footage of the choir in Hungary and Sora Krista felt the spirit so strongly as the music played even though it was in English and she couldn't understand the words. The reporter mentioned a few things about Mormons and Sora Krista said to her husband, "Truly this is a unique group of people. I would like to learn more about them." At the time, the church wasn't here in Romania. After communism, the church made it's way here. When Sora Krista heard about it, she went to the building where the church was at the time and knocked on the door. The branch president and missionaries answered. When they asked her who she was looking for she said, "You! I'm looking for all of you!" The missionaries began teaching her and she was baptized shortly after. I was just so impressed how she was touched just by hearing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and that feeling stuck with her and she remembered it when the gospel became available to her. It's an amazing story to me, and it's just an example to how important and powerful the witness of the spirit is.


Friday was Valentine's Day. We took some time to make some sugar cookies in the shape of hearts and we gave them to all of the members yesterday. They loved them! It was fun to see their reactions. It was a good way to celebrate the day.

Concluding thoughts:

I have a couple. The first is thus: we don't know all things, and that's okay. I'm reminded of a statement by Elder Anderson.

"Nearly 40 years ago as I contemplated the challenge of a mission, I felt very inadequate and unprepared. I remember praying, “Heavenly Father, how can I serve a mission when I know so little?” I believed in the Church, but I felt my spiritual knowledge was very limited. As I prayed, the feeling came: “You don’t know everything, but you know enough!” That reassurance gave me the courage to take the next step into the mission field."

Truly we learn line upon line. That's the only way to learn. We are all at different points and levels of understanding. As we continue to strive to follow our Savior and to nourish our testimonies our knowledge will be added upon. We will be able understand a little bit more about a gospel concept than we were before. We can't receive it all at once. You still wouldn't understand. It's like the idea of feeding meat before milk. It can be frustrating at times when we don't understand everything. There are some things we just can't fully understand at this point in time. That's where faith plays a huge role. Even if we don't always know why, everything that Heavenly Father asks us to do is for our benefit. He has a knowledge and sight that we don't have. It's like he's on the watch tower and we're in the city below. We would never ignore the one on the watch tower. When he gives the signal of danger, we make the necessary preparations. We put all our emergency preparedness into practice. So we should trust the words of modern day prophets and trust the guidance we receive from the spirit. Even without understanding all at this time, the Lord will not leave us to navigate this life alone. He will guide us down the path back to where He is.

I'll make my second thought short. Keep a journal. Record inspiration and blessings of the Lord in your life. It will help you see that you are not alone. It will help you remember answers you've received when you begin to doubt yourself. It can become a form of your own personal scripture. Write often and reread it to reflect on the many things you've learned and how the Lord blesses you in your life.

Have a great week! I love you all!

Love,
Sora Adams










No comments:

Post a Comment